Finding your First Job
Whether you are leaving education after studying A Levels, a Baccalaureate, a BTEC or a University degree, it can be daunting entering the permanent 9-5 world.
As a recruitment agency we have taken an active role over the past 30 years in finding fantastic first Guernsey jobs for students.
We're here to help, so please contact our team today if you'd like to find out about the many graduate/trainee/junior roles we have on offer, or just wish to discuss your options further - email@example.com
- Don’t leave your job search until the summer or even September. Start looking in the Easter holidays. Many companies start their candidate searches the previous December to fill their roles by May/June, so don’t leave it too late to apply.
- If you've never held a job before such as a Saturday job, volunteering or Young Enterprise, companies may be unsure of your basic skills e.g. the ability to undertake additional priorities, reliability, teamwork and responding well to feedback. So have a strong work ethic and show you can adapt to whatever circumstances arise.
- Good academic results will help distinguish you from the crowd, so keep working hard!
- Ensure your social media presence doesn't put employers off. Are your images and posts respectful? Potential employers may check your online presence, so make sure it's suitable.
- Don’t limit yourself to your dream job or the first job that comes along. Broaden your thinking and include as many options as possible. And don’t give up if you can’t find a job right away - job searching can take persistence and patience.
Want to temp and earn some cash over the Easter, Summer or Christmas holidays?
If you are a University student and want to earn some extra cash during the holidays, or you have just graduated and are unsure of your next step or saving to go travelling, we have a variety of short and long term temping contracts available. Register today for more details!