Having just received the latest UK Report on Jobs from KPMG and the REC, which provides a comprehensive guide to the UK employment market, we were very encouraged to see:
• First increase in permanent staff appointments since September - Recruiters indicated that the upturn was driven by increased market activity and recent vaccine news.
• Total demand for workers improved for the first time since September, mostly driven by an increase in temporary vacancies, the sharpest for the last 18 months.
• Starting salaries and temp wages both increased for the first time since March.
• Redundancies related to the pandemic drove a further marked increase in the availability of both permanent and short-term staff in December.
• UK recruitment consultancies recorded a renewed rise in permanent placements at the end of 2020. The increase was attributed to business activity and improved market.
• December results revealed a sharp increase in temporary vacancies, with the rate of growth the quickest for a year-and-a-half.