It’s that time of the year again when we all evaluate our lives and set out to make big changes, not least of which is the decision to find a new job. Here are our top tips to get you ready to kick start your career in 2020!
1) Update your CV and LinkedIn profile - When is the last time you looked at your CV? Do you have an up to date one? It is always a good exercise to update your CV annually to make sure you haven’t missed any important projects you were involved in. Just like your CV your LinkedIn profile should be kept up to date!
2) Get a new professional certification - Have you ever wanted to gain a professional qualification? Gaining a professional certification will enhance your employability and will give you a chance to stretch yourself. There are various low-cost and flexible training opportunities, which can be completed in your own free time or at an evening class. Don’t have the funds? A lot of companies are willing to fund further training of their employees if they can see the benefits.
3) Attend more networking events - Attending networking can be uncomfortable and awkward, but bets are you aren’t the only one feeling that way! You don’t have to do one every fortnight, one a month or a quarter is enough. It is the best way to make new connections and keep up to date of what’s happening in your field. It is also a great way to add more connections on LinkedIn.
4) Career evaluation - Sit down and think about your career goals, write a list of what you want to achieve throughout the year. Evaluate what makes you happy and what makes you unhappy. Do you want a new challenge? Looking for more responsibilities?
5) Skill Up! - Whether attending a refresher course or learning a new computer program, this can give you the confidence to find a better job!
6) Last, but not least – register with a reputable local recruitment agency who can guide you through the sometimes daunting task of job hunting and make it so much easier than going it alone. Contact Situations today and register with one of our friendly, trained consultants. We’ve been in business for over 30 years and love nothing more than finding the right jobs for the right people. We’re here for you every step of the way.